Monday, December 12, 2011

Slammy Awards

Tonight is the three-hour WWE Slammy Awards, the annual award show that celebrates the stand-out talents and events of the year.

Sometimes the winners are obvious, other times they appear to serve a greater purpose. Here's my personal winners in some categories the WWE has, others, well, I made up...

Diva of the Year: Michelle McCool. It's the Peyton Manning effect-- ever since she left, the Divas division has been hurting. Sure, Beth and Natalya are trying, but everything around them just seems to be dead of spirit.

OMG Moment: Kharma announcing she was pregnant. After watching wrestling as long as I have and simply picking up rumors here and there, it's easy to predict the scenarios the writers will present to us. Unfortunately for the Divas, this moment wasn't scripted, and it shocked me. Her speech moved me. And, I cannot wait for her return.

The Fast Forward Award: Mark Henry. Not only is Mark Henry the "World's Strongest Man," but he is also the world's most boring man. Let's put it this way, if I don't start Smackdown late so I can fast forward through his segments, I usually find myself asleep on the couch with Henry being the last thing I remember...

Best Storyline: CM Punk v. WWE. CM Punk's contract was up, and coincidentally, he was scheduled to battle for the WWE Championship on his last day. On his way out, he, um, criticized the McMahons in the most extreme monologue ever. Of course, he won, and did his best to rub it in the face of the WWE on Twitter and even ComicCon. He eventually made a deal to come back, just in time to main event at SummerSlam. It was the Summer of Punk, and the summer that made events that happened outside of the ring, especially Twitter, just as important as what happens in the ring.

Superstar of the Year: Zack Ryder. This man went from obscurity to viral over the year, building his own name and character. He could have waited for creative to have something for him, simultaneously waiting for the "future endeavor" line. Instead, he posted videos, in a Long Island stereotype (a much better play on the Jersey Shore personalities than the literal, although humorous, representations on TNA) It was a long climb, but he is finally getting major amounts of airtime on both Raw and Smackdown.

What award would you give?

1 Comments:

Blogger Fitra2009 said...

Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment and following your blog here.

Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog and following me back too.

December 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home