Friday, May 20, 2011

RIP Macho Man

TMZ is reporting Macho Man Randy Savage died this morning after suffering a heart attack and crashing his car into a tree.

His longtime friend and tag team partner in the Mega Powers Hulk Hogan took the news hard as people all over the social media landscape reacted to one of the charismatic performers in wrestling history.

"I'm completely devastated," Hogan tweeted. "After over 10 years of not talking with Randy, we've finally started to communicate. He had so much life in his eyes and in his spirit. I just pray that he is happy and in a better place. We miss him a lot. I feel horrible about the 10 years of having no communication. This was a tough one."

Check out Matthew Osborne's column from The Trentonian here, with videos from the glory days of Macho Man's career.

Also, check out videos from the crash site here.

Seemingly the entire wrestling world reacted to the news in Tweets...

New Jersey's own Jay Lethal, who modeled his character after Savage: RIP Macho Man Randy Savage. You were amazing. Oohh Yeah!!

(Also, poem written by Lethal here.)

Shawn Michaels, after hearing the news from Chris Jericho via text message: We've lost one of the greats. Our prayers go out to the family and friends of Randy Savage.

Rob Van Dam: Rest in peace Macho Man Randy Savage.

John Cena: The untimely passing of Randy Savage is indeed tragic. All true fans of wrestling will mourn this loss. One of the all-time greats.

Kevin Nash: I lost close friend today. if anybody in Heaven is wondering who the cat in the ugly cowboy hat is, it's Randy. Love you bro, never another.

The Rock: RIP Randy Macho Man Savage. You were one of my childhood inspirations and heroes. Strength, love and prayers to the Savage/Poffo family.

The Blue Meanie: So saddened to hear about the death of Randy Savage. One of my all-time favorites! RIP Randy. My thoughts go out to Lanny Poffo.

Jim Ross: Condolences to all of Randy's friends and family.

Jeff Jarrett: Randy is gone, but never will be forgotten. Thoughts and prayers with the entire Poffo family.

Mick Foley: I just heard the sad news about the Macho Man. Randy Savage was one of my favorite performers, and my heart goes out to his loved ones.

Chris Jericho: Randy Savage was a true influence and inspiration to me and taught me some very important lessons, in and out of the ring. Rest in peace Mach.

Trish Stratus: Rest in peace Randy-my first inspiration in the ring. My prayers & condolences to the Savage family.

Zack Ryder (who posted on Twitter and Facebook a photo of himself as a child with Savage): RIP MACHO MAN. One of my favorites and one of the best of all time. DIG IT!

Bill DeMott: When I got my start in WCW it was Randy that gave me the rub... my prayers and thoughts to the Poffo family

Bret Hart: I have no words to say. This one hits me hard. We lost one of the best.

Howard Finkel: I am profoundly saddened by the passing of one of the all-time greats, Macho Man Randy Savage. My condolences go out to the Poffo family.

Tommy Dreamer: Randy Savage was the 1st person I saw piledrive someone through a table. Thanks 4 all the memories. Hope u walk the aisle w/ Liz & Sherri again.

Taz: Very sad to hear of the passing of a GREAT legend. I only met Randy Savage a couple of times- I was a big fan of his work. RIP.

Christian: Sad 2 hear about "Macho Man" Randy Savage.. Only met him once briefly. No doubt 1 of the best & influenced so many performers you see today. RIP

Goldust: Prayers go out to Randy Savage family..... God be with them in this tough time... The Lord giveth...and the Lord taketh away....... just remember.. God always has a plan, even if you do not.

Steve Austin: Just heard about Macho Man Randy Savage... unmatched intensity in the ring. A hellacious performer and terrific promo. A real bad ass. RIP.

Roddy Piper: TOO SAD TO TWEET...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home